Buy a whole free range pig direct from the farmer
Have you ever wanted to buy a whole pig?
There’s nothing like being able to tell your friends you just put a whole pig in the freezer! But buying a whole pig is not just about bragging rights… it’s about getting the best quality free range pork for the best price possible and best of all, you cut out the middleman by buying direct from the farmer.
When you buy a whole pig from us we take care of all the logistics for you. All you need to do is tell us (or the butcher) how you would like your pork cut up. Your pork is then bagged and boxed ready for you to collect and fill your freezer!
We can send our whole pigs as far north as Rockhampton, south to Brisbane and anywhere in between.
Whole pigs are priced at $11.50 per kilo hanging weight*. This is a flat rate per kilo to process, transport and butcher a whole pig into fresh and cured pork cuts.
At the time of ordering we take a $200 deposit to secure your pig. Once the pig has been processed we will send an invoice to your nominated email address with the balance owing. The balance must be paid prior to collecting your pork.
A whole pig will usually weigh 50 to 60kg hanging weight (occasionally more), with a final cost to you of around $630. Hanging weights will always vary, as we are producing pigs under natural growing conditions.
You will receive approximately 40 kg of dressed pork from a whole pig. That means the free range pork going into your freezer will average out to be as little as $15 per kilo!
*We charge by the hanging weight, which is the whole carcase, including the head, prior to butchering. This is the simplest way to calculate the final cost for you the customer. You can take as much of that whole pig as you want – you’re buying the whole pig, nose to tail!
We believe in supporting your local butcher. We select small family owned businesses that look after our customers and we always encourage our customers to continue supporting them.
We have some amazing local butchers for you to choose from. If we don’t have a butcher listed in your area, please contact us before submitting your order to make sure we can send your pig to a butcher near you. We may even add them to our list for other customers to use too.
How to order your whole Yanjala free range pig…
- Select the month you would like your pig
- Select a butcher, or enquire about other butchers in your area
- Choose your cuts (or opt to speak with the butcher)
- Pay the $200 deposit to reserve your pig
- We’ll be in touch to confirm your reservation, discuss your collection date and to answer any questions you may have
- We’ll contact you again later down the track to give you updates on your collection date
- As soon as your pig has been processed we’ll let you know the final hanging weight and the balance owing
- The butcher will receive your pig a few days after processing and they usually butcher them within four days. If you’re ordering cured cuts you will need to wait a few more days before collecting.
- Final payment to us for the balance of your whole pig is required prior to pick up from the butcher. Your pork will be bulk packed in butcher bags, so make sure to have some freezer bags on hand to portion up your cuts as required.
Curing/Ham/Bacon Not all butchers have the facilities to cure your cuts. Commercial smokers are large and expensive and some commercial lease agreements don’t allow for ovens to be installed. Smoking meat also requires an additional food safety program, as it involves heating/cooking of meat. If your preferred butcher is able to cure on site, the cured cuts will be displayed within the cuts list once your butcher is selected.
You can always try to cure and smoke your own bacon and ham – it’s easier than you think! Just select one of the larger cuts (ie: whole belly bone out for streaky bacon) then visit your local butcher supply shop for everything you need. If you don’t have a butcher supply shop close by, try Bunnings or Barbeques Galore. If you have a BBQ with a lid, you can smoke meat!